Youth Transitional Services

Maryland’s Independent Living Services (also called Youth Transitional Services) are resources provided by the Maryland Department of Human Services and your local Department of Social Services that assist youth throughout the process of transitioning to adulthood. By using the information collected from your Maryland Youth Transition Plan, you along with your social worker and resource parent can determine what type of resources are needed specifically for your success and how to connect you to those beneficial resources.

Maryland’s Independent Living Services focus on developing and enhancing:

  • Social and emotional skills
  • Education
  • Career
  • Overall daily living activities

Youth Transitional Services are typically offered to youth living in out-of-home placement agreements. Examples of Out-of-Home placement are:

  • Traditional Foster Care
  • Treatment Foster Care
  • Semi-Independent Living Program
  • Supervised Independent Living Program

What is included in Youth Transitional Services?

High School Expenses Assistance:

Your local department of social services can assist graduating high school seniors with financial assistance up to $750 for to contribute to the following prioritized expenses:

  • Senior Class Dues/Package
  • Graduation Fees
  • Cap and Gown
  • Class Ring
  • Senior Pictures
  • Yearbook
  • Prom Expenditures (ticket, attire, pictures and/or transportation)


To qualify for assistance, youth must be:

  • Enrolled in a public/private high school or education program
  • Graduating from a high school or education program within the school year financial assistance is provided.