Come out to our Information Session in-person or virtually on April 20th, 2022 and see if the SYAB is a good fit for you! Sign-up Here!
The State Youth Advisory Board (SYAB) is an organization made up of current and alumni foster youth to provide a youth perspective and partner with Social Services Administration, child-serving administrators, staff, and providers in the child welfare on the decision making process for challenges facing youth in foster care.
- Board members meet once a month at the Social Services Administration office in the Department of Human Services in Baltimore, Maryland. Members develop Teen Conference, engage in leadership and public speaking trainings, and provide input on legislative and regulatory policies.
- Meetings are facilitated by youth, a Chairperson, and Co-Chairperson. Youth are elected to these positions which carry a term of 1 year.
- Networking with public officials, youth, and Social Services Administration
- Developing leadership and advocacy skills
- Gaining Community Service Hours
- Traveling across the State of Maryland
- Influencing changes within Maryland’s Child Welfare System
- Participating in the Legislative Session in Annapolis, Maryland
- Must be 13 – 23 years old
- Must be current or alumni of the Maryland’s Child Welfare System
- Must have some experience on their local youth advisory board